Microsoft outlines recent Edge browser improvements

(www.engadget.com)

Microsoft’s Edge browser recently overtook Firefox as the most popular Chrome alternative, according to NetMarketshare stats. Chrome still has the lion’s share of the market with over a 70 percent share, and Firefox isn’t that far behind, but Microsoft’s contender has been slowly gaining popularity.

How does that math work? Chrome accounts for 70% of the market, leaving 30% for everyone else. If Edge has overtaken FireFox, that means that Edge could account for 15.1% and FireFox 14.9%. However, there are dozens of other browsers out there, including Safari, Opera, Brave, Vivaldi, NetFront, and the like. So there’s no way FireFox can have 14.9% because it’s mathematically impossible.

So back to that problematic statement:

Chrome still has the lion’s share of the market with over a 70 percent share, and Firefox isn’t that far behind …

The gap between 70% and whatever number FireFox might have is far behind. Very, very, very far behind. 🙄