Written By Jason 1979-04-03T00:50:00Z
Okay, it's a cheap entry since it was clearly not written the same day as I was born … but here we go.
In April of 1979:
- April 1 - Iran's government becomes an Islamic Republic by a 98% vote, overthrowing Shah officially
- April 1 - 18 - Police lock Andreas Mihavecz in a holding cell in Bregenz, Austria, and forget him there without food or drink.
- April 1 - Nickelodeon Television Channel, a children's cartoon channel, launches as The Pinwheel Network.
- April 2 - Sverdlovsk Anthrax leak: A Soviet biowarfare laboratory at Sverdlovsk accidentally releases airborne anthrax spores, killing 66 plus an unknown amount of livestock.
- April 3 - My parents navigate through a snow storm to the hospital in Georgetown, Ontario to bring me into the world
- April 4 - President Zulfikar Ali Bhutto of Pakistan is executed.
- April 8 - Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom is born.
- April 10 - A tornado hits Wichita Falls, Texas, killing 42 people (the most notable of 26 that hit that day).
- April 11 - Tanzanian troops take Kampala, the capital of Uganda; Idi Amin flees.
- April 17 - Schoolchildren in the Central African Empire are arrested (and around 100 killed) for protesting against compulsory school uniforms. An African judicial commission later determines that Emperor Jean-Bédel Bokassa "almost certainly" took part in the massacre.
- April 23 - Fighting in London between the Anti-Nazi League and the Metropolitan Police's Special Patrol Group results in the death of protestor Blair Peach.
Though times have changed between then and now (whenever "now" is), people have not.