Why must every recipe from my mum's cook books be in imperial units? This weekend I decided to try something new and found a recipe that piqued my interest. Blueberries and corn bread are foods that I've enjoyed separately, but never together. In the famous line from the Blendtec promos; will it blend?
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix almond mix and apple cider together. Set aside
- Combine all dry ingredients (including sugar) together in a small bowl
- Add almond milk mixture and coconut oil to a mixer.
- Using the whisk attachment, add in the dry ingredients all at once and mix until just combined
- Portion batter into muffin cups and top each one with blueberries
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
This was quite a bit easier than last week's cranberry bread to clean up, and the results were quite lovely. It's probably a good thing that there are no (decent) bakeries within walking distance of the new house. I have reason to make things myself.